Despite the fact that our great country prides itself on multi-billion dollar hospitals, futuristic medical advances and many of the best-trained doctors in the world, there is one statistic that is a very hard pill to swallow: the third leading cause of death in the United States is medical errors – right behind heart disease and cancer. What is the saddest fact about the more than 250,000 deaths and countless injuries per year caused by medical errors? They are preventable.
When a doctor, medical professional, hospital or other medical facility negligently fails to provide a patient with the proper standard of care, resulting in injury, harm or death, medical malpractice may have occurred. If you believe you are a victim of medical malpractice, you may pursue compensation in a medical malpractice lawsuit. If a loved one lost their life as a result of medical malpractice, the living heirs may pursue damages in a wrongful death medical malpractice lawsuit.
Medical Malpractice – Errors
There are numerous examples of medical malpractice that can occur as a result of the medical professionals’ negligence. They include, but certainly are not limited to the following:
- Diagnostic errors – failure to diagnose, misdiagnosis, taking too long to diagnose (delayed diagnosis)
- Surgical errors – failing to follow proper procedure, surgery on the wrong body part, leaving surgical instruments and other items in the patient’s body
- Anesthesia errors – failure to administer the proper anesthesia, dosing errors, allergic or toxic reactions, equipment failure
- Medication errors – prescribing incorrect or toxic medication, cross-medication with other prescribers, pharmacy errors
- Infections – failing to maintain a sterile environment, disease transmission; may occur during surgery, post-surgery or during recovery
- All others – discuss your specific case with Attorney Lisa Stern
Free Consultation and No Legal Fees Unless We Win or Settle Your Case
Victims of medical malpractice may be in a position to pursue economic and noneconomic damages, which may include past and future medical and hospital expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost income, lost projected income, pain and suffering and more. In some cases a Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Attorney may pursue punitive damages for exceptionally egregious and reckless conduct on the part of the medical professional or hospital.
For more than three decades, Orange County Medical Malpractice Attorney Lisa Stern has vigorously and compassionately fought for compensation and justice for her clients in a wide variety of medical malpractice lawsuits. She offers a free consultation and there are no legal fees unless your case is favorably resolved through a settlement or court award. To schedule a phone or office appointment, please contact Los Angeles Medical Malpractice Attorney Lisa Stern at 323-456-8878.